As part of the green building practices promoted by the Board of Trustees solar power systems have been installed on 21 school sites. The installations were made in two phases under Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) where the PPA entity constructed and will maintain the solar power facilities and the district purchases the power at a lower cost than San Diego Gas & Electric. The total solar output is 9,349 kWp which is expected to generate about 15.9 million kWh (about 50 percent of the district-wide electrical usage). Data for individual school sites is here.
Power Purchase Agreement 1 (PPA1)
The first ten major projects constructed under the Proposition 0 Bond Program have been designed to meet a minimum of the United States Green Building Council’s LEED Gold designation for energy efficiency and sustainability. The first solar power project under a power purchase agreement was originally planned to provide over 5 megawatts of clean solar power on ten campuses. Unfortunately, the roof mounted installation could not be approved by the Division of State Architect and the project was reduced to six school sites. Construction was completed in late 2013.
Think Energy, Inc. performed a 3rd party analysis of the proposed Power Purchase Agreement: SUHSD Solar Final Recommendations 3.10.11
- The Montgomery High and Southwest High project was certified by DSA on 1/15/14.
- The Bonita Vista High and Castle Park High project was certified by DSA on 2/19/14.
- The Chula Vista High and Otay Ranch High project was certified by DSA on 4/21/14.
Power Purchase Agreement 2 (PPA2)
The second solar project included changing roof mounted units from PPA1 to carport units and added solar installations at 12 additional sites. Resnick Think Energy LLC performed a 3rd party analysis of the proposed Power Purchase Agreement:
Work is complete at all sites with 1 exception – ELH accessible parking is under construction:
- Bonita Vista Middle certified by DSA on 7/22/15.
- Castle Park Middle certified by DSA on 7/10/14.
- Chula Vista Middle certified by DSA on 10/9/14.
- Eastlake High certified by DSA on 2/23/16.
- EastLake Middle certified by DSA on 7/17/14.
- Granger Jr. High certified by DSA on 6/30/15.
- Hilltop High certified by DSA on 10/9/14.
- Hilltop Middle certified by DSA on 5/11/15.
- Mar Vista High certified by DSA on 8/18/14.
- Mar Vista Academy (Middle) complete 12/13/13 (ground mount units exempted from DSA approval)
- Olympian High certified by DSA on 6/30/14.
- Otay Ranch High certified by DSA on 10/15/14.
- Ranch Del Rey Middle certified by DSA on 2/26/15.
- Southwest Middle certified by DSA on 4/24/15.
- Sweetwater Union High certified by DSA on 8/18/14.
- San Ysidro High certified by DSA on 8/18/14.
The roof mounted Montgomery Middle project was cancelled.
The PPA documents (agreements and leases) are PPA Docs